Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Choose your own adventure

Do you remember the Choose Your Own Adventure books? I just saw them today in the bookstore.

To refresh your memory...
You are hiking in Snake Canyon when you find yourself lost in the strange, dimly lit Cave of Time. Gradually you can make out two passageways. One curves downward to the right; the other leads upward to the left. It occurs to you that the one leading down may go to the past and the one leading up may go to the future. Which way will you choose?
If you take the left branch, turn to page 20. If you take the right branch, turn to page 61. If you walk outside the cave, turn to page 21.

I always thought they were so cool. So many choices and lots of different endings.

Although I did not read them entirely the proper way.

I would make a choice, skip ahead to see if I liked it. If I did then I would continue on, if not I would make another choice. I am kind of like that with books. I am the person that skims through the ending when I get curious. I still read the entire book, I just like to know where the story is heading.

Oh, if only life were like that. I mentioned that we have some changes coming up. Still many unanswered questions. Mainly, is Brayden going to get better, worse or stay the same...what are we dealing with? After many months, many doctors and many tests, we are no closer to answering that question, no diagnosis. The doctors give us options and leave some of the decisions up to us. I would like to skip ahead just to skim through what would happen when making those different choices or at least have the doctors be able to give us a glimpse into what may come. But they have no idea.

I do feel like we are making informed decisions so for now we just turn the page.
I do know that only One knows. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus the author and perfecter of our faith. Hebrews 12:2

2 comments:

The VW's said...

I used to love those books and do the same thing that you did! Ahh, the memories!

I often think that I would like to know what the future holds for us and Gavin, but then I realize that this knowledge could be a very scary thing! It's difficult, but I try to only think, "One day at a time."

And, what a comfort to know that our future is in the hands of the Lord! Love, Hugs and Prayers!!

Mo said...

Ditto! Well said.