Thursday, November 26, 2009

Joy, Joy, Joy, Joy down in my heart

It is Thanksgiving morning. Everyone is preparing for a day of food, family and friends. Many us will sit around and share what we are thankful for this year.

While I could give a list of all the things I am thankful for, I want to talk about just one thing.

From the kid's song...I've got the joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart...

This past weekend one of the pastors at our church read Psalm 100.

Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth.
Worship the Lord with gladness;
come before Him with joyful songs.
Know the the Lord is God.
It is He who made us, and we are His;
we are His people, the sheep of his pasture.
Enter His gates with thanksgiving
and His courts with praise;
give thanks to Him and praise His name.
For the Lord is good and His love endures forever;
His faithfulness continues through all generations.

How can we be joyful and filled with gladness when life is tough? It it really possible to be truly joyful?

Many, many times Jeremy and I have people talk to us about how we handle our roller coaster life with Brayden (and Carter and Luke). People have said, "You handle things so well." Or, "I cannot believe you are not angry about your circumstances." Or, "Your attitude is so great."

To be frank, Jeremy and I do not know any other way to live. But why is that?

Because we found out what we are made of.

What do I mean? Well...I feel like we have faced one of many parents biggest fears, having a child with severe disabilities and medical needs. A child that cannot talk, walk, see or even eat...it can be rough. Instead of crumbling in our circumstances, we have become stronger.

Not by our own strength but the Lord's.

Sure we get upset, frustrated, cry and worry but in our heart of hearts, we know that Brayden's imperfect little brain is part of a perfect plan. We know that everything is in the Lord's hands. Deep inside us we know that Brayden is meant to be who he was meant to be, as are we. For that we are thankful.

Psalm 33:21
In Him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in His holy name.

This Thanksgiving, I have to say that I am thankful for the
Joy, Joy, Joy, Joy, down in my heart
Down in My Heart,
Down in My Heart,
Down in My Heart to stay.

And I'm so happy.
So very happy!
I've got the love of Jesus in my heart.
And I'm so happy so very happy
I've got the love of Jesus in my heart!

A video from the boys favorite group GO Fish, their version of I've got joy.

And the paper turkey was made by Brayden...he painted the feathers as part of therapy then his wonderful teacher and aids put it together.

5 comments:

kirstenpetree said...

well said! love the turkey and I know it is a treasure to you!!

Searching for Grace said...

Thanks for posting this!!! I feel the same way sometimes! Its amazing how in the most unforeseen circumstances comes amazing faith! Happy Thanksgiving!!

Courtney said...

carrie - your faith is amazing. thank you for showing Him so powerfully!

Wherever HE Leads We'll Go said...

Very well said! God's plan is perfect even if we don't understand all of it. Thank you for sharing your faith. I know that I have been tremendously blessed by your blog. Things aren't always easy, but God's grace is sufficient!

Shannon said...

Once again you have said it so beautifully. You and Jeremy are incredibly strong, wonderful parents.