Sunday, September 28, 2008

Brayden's Hand, Daddy's Face

Brayden had a rough day yesterday, a fever and too many seizures. The seizures seemed to be non-stop. We gave him a dose of Diastat (the emergency rectal seizure medication). He pooped just a few minutes after giving it. Oh great, did it do any good? We called the Children's on-call neurologist, for fear that we may be heading into the ER. Thankfully Brayden settled down and slept well last night.

Then today...
After his morning bath, he found his favorite resting place, daddy's lap. I went into the kitchen to get breakfast ready. Jeremy called me back into the room, "You have to come see this."

Brayden has been working hard to explore with his hands, trying to find his mouth or feel things around him. His left hand is used more often and becoming more useful to him. His movements are not necessarily intentional or coordinated but slowly getting better. His occupational therapist started working with him on reaching. She also suggested that we name what Brayden is doing. We say, "Getting in your chair, in your bed, washing your face..." to let him know what is happening. This can facilitate his learning and understanding, especially since his vision is extremely impaired.

The video is Jeremy asking him to do something and he responds! His hand movements are intentional. We have tried this several times today with great success! Our little one is doing big things. We wait and pray for moments like these.



9 comments:

Courtney said...

that is so so sweet! yea brayden!!!

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo Brayden!!! And those little neck muscles are getting a workout too. You da man!

Unknown said...

Wow, I am so impressed! He is really working hard, and you all must be so proud of his accomplishment.

Debbie said...

Oh Carrie!!!! He is responding!!! That is just so awesome and just so encouraging. Oh I just want to kiss those cheeks...mwah...

Andrea said...

Yea! Awesome!

Michelle said...

Praise God, Yeah Brayden and way to go Mom and Dad and the physical therapist to help Brayden.

Joyfulsister said...

Aloha, Thank you for dropping by today and sharing your heart with me. I'm glad you enjoyed the tour, the best parts about reading comments is that it leads be back to those who made them.*smile* and I'm sure glad you came because I would have never found my way here to meet dear Brayden.
He is truly a blessing and although I have never met him, just watching the video Lil Brayden made my heart smile. I could just feel the love you both have for him. Thank you for blessing me with Braydens presence and for sharing this precious video with us all.

Aloha Ke Akua.. Brayden.
and Family.

Amity said...

Way to go Brayden! How awesome you caught it all on video. This brightened my day!

Demorest Designs said...

Carrie,
Somehow I missed this blog. What a great moment. So sweet and I am sure such a huge day for all of you. I can just picture after you were finished videotaping the happy dance that you all did!! lol. Has he continued to make progress with his hands?