Saturday, September 27, 2008

My Sorority

I attended college at Taylor University. Where is it you ask? Indiana. Take a right by a farm, left by another, pass several more and soon you will find the campus. Taylor University is a small college, no fraternities or sororities. Students were grouped pretty much by their dorm, sports or activities.

I never thought that later in life I would be a part of a sorority. I do not mean a traditional sorority with Greek letters, rush and parties. I never wanted or ever thought I would be a part of this sorority. It is a group of moms; some I have met, others just by email, moms that have special needs children.

I have been surprised and blessed by connecting with these women. There is an instant bond and understanding. A few weeks ago, I sent out an email with a desperate plea for information about a J-tube and some medication. At the time, I did not know anyone that had a J-tube. That email was forwarded and forwarded some more. Soon my inbox was filled with emails from families that have dealt with similar issues. They offered us advice, questions to ask, their experiences, Bible verses and even just an email “We have been there, we feel for you and we are praying for you.” I have enjoyed reading the emails about their children and looking at pictures.

It is not just emails that have been helpful. We have several friends that we have known for years, who have special needs children; all very different circumstances but a deepened friendship as a result.

The bond is something I have come to appreciate. My questions, concerns or fears are understood. Just in discussion about the fear of sending Brayden to school. Many moms have dropped off their child or sent them on that special bus off to school. My eyes well-up with tears even thinking about it. There is some humor in sharing our experiences with the not-so kindness of strangers, doctors or crazy hospital adventures. There is comfort and safety sharing these things with moms of special needs children. No explanations, apologies or misunderstanding, they know.

I felt it shelter to speak to you. – Emily Dickinson

This is my sorority. The rush has been painful. The connections are helpful. The bonds are priceless.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

That is God making a provision for you every step of the way....