Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The stress of my days

As many mothers know, back-to-school time is busy. It can be stressful. Making sure your children are gear up and ready to go with their supplies and proper fitting clothes (when do they stop growing?). Not to mention the school open houses/orientations, back-to-school nights, fall activities that are starting up...for us it is football, soccer, Awana, and all the things Jeremy and I volunteer for.

The week before school starts...I am dealing with all of the above. I am also mentally preparing myself to send Brayden off to school again. My heart aches when I think about him driving off in the bus. Bonus for this year is Brayden's nurse will be going with him once a week.

All pretty typical...

But add in a extra bit for Brayden and his supplies. Last week, the medical supply company did not deliver his feeding pump bags. The feeding pump is the ONLY way he gets nutrition. The medical supply company was still trying to get us the bags at 5:30 p.m. on Friday. Finally someone hand delivered the bags late Saturday afternoon.

I call this week for Brayden's monthly supply of his formula. I have been making this phone call for 2 1/2 years. It is my routine. Yet again, the medical supply company has mixed things up and could even get us his formula because the warehouse do not have it.

Here's the thing, Brayden CANNOT take any other food. We cannot go to the grocery store or even a pharmacy to get what he needs. It is a combination of four different items that are precisely measured out to ensure his seizure (and vomit) control.

I was freaking out to say the least. The medical supply company told me that it would be at least a week until it was sorted out (between the warehouse receiving it, getting the proper prescription and authorization). Umm, I needed his supplies the next day!

I called the pediatrician's office and Children's. They were on the case. Without much progress, we still did not know if Brayden was going to get the formula in enough time. Finally, between the pediatrician's office, Children's and my phone calls to the supply company, we concluded that the formula was not coming.

I begged Children's to give us a box of it (they have it for in-patient care). I loaded up the boys in the car and we drove down to Children's, an 1 1/2 hour drive. Ran into pick it up, they gave it to us as a "donation". And we drove him another 1 1/2 hour drive with the little box. A little box to tide us over until the the medical supply company figured things out.

I come home to find a box, I mean, a case, of the formula had arrived.

I called the medical supply company to find out what happened. They did not know it was even shipped.

Really!?
Now I am worried they are charging us for the case and overnight shipping...

2 comments:

Mo said...

Grrrrr, how frustrating!!!

Courtney said...

wow...like you needed THAT on top of everything else!