Thursday, July 30, 2009

Non-accomodating Water Park?

I just got off the phone with a local water park, that just opened this year. I thought it would be fun to go there as a family before summer came to an end. I called to find out about wheelchair accessibility.
Here are the questions I asked and the responses...

Is there an entrance that can be used for wheelchairs?
Well, you will have to get someone to let you in at the different entrance. We are busy and it might take some one awhile to help you.

Can we arrive a few minutes early so that someone can help us?
So, you are asking us to make an exception? Well, I don't think so. If you really have to, you can try but we will not guarantee that.

Is there an easy place to park a wheel chair once inside?
The water park is more of a place to play, so there are children everywhere. This might not be a place for you to bring your child.
_____________________________________

Yes, I am frustrated by the responses. Especially the last one. They do not have any idea about my son other than a wheelchair (not his age or development). We take Brayden to other pools with not much of a problem other than jockeying for an umbrella.

Ugh.

My hope is that the person I was talking to did not know much and I am trying to give her the benefit of doubt. I might try to swing by there and talk to someone in person (or complain).

6 comments:

Unknown said...

That is insane, and I would have told them that you were blogging their responses. See if their marketing and PR department like that at all.

One day you will take hinm to Disney, and the Disney cruise, and you will be amazed at how accomodating a company can be....no one elsecan compare. But how sad that you couldn't just enjoy a day out with your kids at a waterpark....they should have ADA guidelines in place.

Devon said...

OH. MY. GOSH. You are way nicer than I am. I tell you what, if someone had said that to me there would have been blood on the walls and heads rolling. Excuse my saying so, but that is bullsh*t. THEY CANNOT DO THAT. Did you talk to the manager? Let them know you were going to call every media outlet within 200 miles? AGH! I am furious!!!!!!!!!

Courtney said...

that is so sad, carrie! i can't believe someone would be that...insensitive!

Michelle said...

That is terrible, I'm so sorry, I can only imagine that that person was having a really bad day to be that rude, you handled yourself beautifully and instead of going there to complain maybe write a letter documenting your conversation with whomever to the owners of the park. Not only have they lost your business but they will lose man others as well.

Shannon said...

This is horrible!! And you have an incredible attitude. I hope you are able to talk with a manager and get a better response.

Susan said...

Carrie, you are a saint. I cannot believe those are the responses you got. I don't think I could have kept my cool. I certainly hope that you called their headquarters and spoke to someone there about these "policies".