Saturday, September 1, 2012

My new favorite t-shirt

I cannot even begin to tell you how many times a week Brayden gets stares from complete strangers...how many times complete strangers engage me in conversation, asking about Brayden.

Best way I can relate the experience to other mothers - it is a similar experience to when you are pregnant.  Complete strangers touching your belly, asking when you are due, what you are having, names...even saying that dreaded line "You look like you could have that baby any day!"...when you are only 6 months along.  Many offering unsolicited advice or comments.

Many of the conversations about Brayden are harmless and I truly do not mind talking to people.  Complete strangers have touched Brayden, asked his diagnosis, his name, age...I even had people ask me about how long he is expected to live.  And some offering unsolicited advice or comments..."maybe he is tired and needs to go home".

A lot of the time children stare; their stares are very innocent and taking in the world around them.  But then the mothers shew the child away, for reasons I am not sure of.  I often do not know how to handle the stares of adults.  Sometimes the look is with knowing eyes...it seems to me they know someone who also has special needs or just compassion.  Sometimes the look is curiosity.  Other times the look is, well...not so nice; staring at Brayden with harsh eyes and not even glancing up at me.


So I found the best t-shirt at Old Navy (I am a sucker for message tees for Brayden but this one takes the cake!).

Brayden may wear it until it is shreds of fabric.





His nurse reminded me of this verse the day Brayden wore this shirt.
Am I now trying to win human approval, or God's approval? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.    -Galatians 1:10

2 comments:

Mo said...

OMGOSH!!! Love it! Great find! Feeling the need to head on over to ON!

Andrea said...

Love it. =)