Saturday, May 17, 2008

Pass or Flunk?

Oh, the days of school and cramming for tests. Getting ready for any question the professor might throw at you. Then sitting at the desk looking over the questions; there are some I can definitely answer, others I can answer pretty well and always a couple that might be shot in the dark.

The past couple of days I have felt like I have been taking a test, trying to be ready to answer any question that is thrown my way. It all started when Brayden and I were driving into the parking lot of the building where he has feeding therapy. The parking lot is a bit difficult to find a spot. If you do not get a spot on the first tier, then you slowly start moving your way back to the next tiers. Does not sound too complicated but between each set of parking tiers are a large set of stairs, which makes it difficult to get up if you are one who needs to use wheels. So you must go all the way around the parking lot to get up to the building. Well this past week I spotted the coveted front spot, a front row handicap place! I was ready. We had the handicap tag hanging from the rear view mirror and I was ready to claim my space. As a drove up, coming in the other direction was a man and women in their car with their handicap tag. We made eye contact. Then I turned into the parking space. I thought to myself I cannot push him all the way around the parking lot today. I unloaded all the gear for Brayden, walked into the building, stepped onto the elevator, looked up and there they were…the people I had meet in the parking lot stare down. I felt like they questioned why I needed the handicap place. I had to give them an answer, whether they needed one or not. I said with a smile “I guess I was the one who took the last handicap space.” The women looked at me and sharply said “Yes.” I, of course, was ready for this test. I started to explain that I could not push Brayden up the tiers of stairs and it is hard to go all the way around the parking lot. Well, the door opened on the elevator and they got off. She did not seem satisfied with my answer. I flunked that one.

The following day, Brayden was scheduled to see at doctor at Children’s neurogenetic clinic. I was ready for this test. We had copies of all the procedures done on Brayden, the referrals, list of medications and even photos for the doctor to see. Upon arrival you must complete a medical form. I thought we did not have to do much because we come to Children’s all the time but not the case because we were in a different department. I had to fill out a form about Brayden. Oh boy, I had to write out Brayden’s conditions. I can barely say them and only sometimes remember how to spell them correctly. Will I get credit if the spelling is close? The form was completed and we went to see the doctor. She asked us more questions than most of the doctors we have seen. Now, I know most of Brayden’s medical history and can talk about it pretty well. Then the doctor asked me his height when he was born. Oh no, I could not remember. An easy answer, usually a given. I could not remember it. Please ask me something else, maybe about his seizures or different treatments he has. Well, one question wrong so I guessed. The doctor grilled us about our family’s medical history from siblings to grandparents. I need to carry a cheat sheet. After walking out of the room I felt like I just stepped out of the SATs. I answered as many questions as I could and hopefully got most of them correct.

Carter and Luke are all about questions. Where are we going? Who will be there? Do I have to take a nap? But sometimes they come out with some big questions. Carter decided on this one a couple of days ago. “How come God can see everything and everyone? Isn’t that hard?” I did my best to answer him and thankfully he was pleased with my answer. At least I passed his test.

No comments: