Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Sleep Study, who really sleeps at these things?!

About four years ago Brayden had a sleep study.  He used an oxygen through a nasal cannula for many months to help him sleep.  Then he had his tonsils and adenoids removed.  We slowly weaned him off oxygen for sleeping (the oxygen still makes appearances for some seizures, thankfully not too often).

Since the summer, we have noticed he was having troubled breathing during his sleep; snoring, labored at times and high heart rate for being asleep, not to mention he has been incredibly drowsy and napping a lot during the day.  We spoke with Brayden's pediatrician and neurologist, both suggested it was time for another sleep study.

This was the night for the sleep study.  Jeremy and I were not sure it would be the best timing for him.  On Friday, he had his first bone infusion and throughout the weekend he really struggled with temperatures and bad seizures.  Monday, I still sent him to school since he was acting better and we needed to meet the wheelchair guy (that is another post).

Jeremy was off at football with Carter and Luke while I checked Brayden in for the sleep study, a clinic in Purcellville this time - no drive to Children's.  When Brayden and I arrived, the tech tried not to show his wide-eyed look when seeing how much stuff we brought...for just 12 hours.  But we need a lot to get him ready for bed (machines, meds, etc. for bedtime).

I did my part in getting Brayden totally ready for bed, then it was time to start placing all the wires.  Oh it was time to place all the wires, literally from head (lots of the head) to toe; and we all know how much he "likes" to be touched.  We had to move him over to his chair since it was too difficult to do it in the bed.  He tried to protest but was too tired.

Brayden did well until the gauze was wrapped around and around his head; he was not a fan.

I left the sleep center and Jeremy stayed the night with Brayden.  Brayden had trouble falling asleep, trying to find comfort and/or figure out what in the world was happening.  He finally slept, not sure how well...but I really didn't want him to sleep great so they could see why he does have trouble finding quality sleep.

Brayden woke early this morning and Jeremy brought him home about 6:45 am.  The first task once home was to shower and get all the gunk off...still working getting off all the tape stickies.

In a few weeks, we had back to meet with the doctor to discuss the sleep study results.

1 comment:

SleepyHeadCENTRAL said...

I work in a sleep lab and 9/10 adult patients ask the same question: "You expect me to sleep with all these wires?" Ultimately, everyone does... eventually. Sleep studies are set up to take into account some later sleep onset for those who have trouble adapting to these conditions, so anyone who is thinking about having a sleep study should rest a little more easy knowing that, whatever they do during the study, they won't disappoint anyone because, believe it or not, the vast majority of all patients in sleep studies do, indeed, fall asleep.

For more information on the process of getting a sleep study: http://sleepyheadcentral.blogspot.com/2014/10/a-reader-asks-how-do-i-get-my-daughter.html