Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Broken

those naïve college days
I cannot tell you how many times I have used the word broken over the past nine months.  I have never seen my husband so broken, in so many ways, throughout all of these circumstances. Broken in ways that has left me helpless as his wife.  Then I realize that I have been broken too, in different ways.  And of course, Jeremy wondering what in the world he could do to help me.   Brokenness deep, deep in our being. How can we get it together when everything around is breaking down?  By God’s grace, our marriage as gotten stronger.

I was reading an article recently about brokenness in marriage.  The statistics for marriages with special needs children are not on the positive side…then toss in a house fire, lost loved one, change in job, scary hospital stays and we have to actually parent our children throughout it too.

This song recently popped up in a feed and I listened to it again.  I think it speaks volumes about marriage.  We are both broken and the whole idea about making each other complete...that is rubbish. We are all so broken, how could we really complete each other? Isn't that an incredibly unrealistic expectation and unfair to put that on our spouse?

Maybe you and I were never meant to be complete
Could we just be broken together

If you can bring your shattered dreams and I'll bring mine
Could healing still be spoken and save us
The only way we'll last forever is broken together


"Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.
If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble.
Likewise, two people lying close together can keep each other warm. But how can one be warm alone?
A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken." – NLT Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

That triple-braided cord - who is the third?  Christ.

No comments: